Mountain Facts & Figures
Mt. Sima is located within the city limits of Whitehorse, Yukon – Canada.
By vehicle, Mt. Sima is located 12 km’s south of downtown Whitehorse, which takes approximately 15 minutes to drive on paved and packed gravel surfaces that are regularly maintained throughout the year.
FACTS & FIGURES
- Mt. Sima has an 1,100 ft. developed vertical drop.
- 6,000 sq/ft day lodge.
- Cafeteria style restaurant on the main floor of the day lodge.
- Last Run Lounge (licensed), located upstairs in the day lodge.
- Warming Chalet at the top of Mt. Sima.
- 1 Doppelmayr fixed-grip quad chairlift with loading carpet and complete 50% download capacity.
- Model – Doppelmayr 4CLF
- Drive location – Bottom
- Slope (m) – 1,260
- Vertical (m) – 315
- Speed (m/s) – 2.3
- Trip time (minutes) – 9.2
- Initial capacity (p/h) – 1,800
- Maximum chairs – 139
- Type of carrier – Safety bar /w footrest
- Download capacity – Yes (50%)
- Main drive – AC motor
- Auxiliary (back up) – Diesel drive
- Haul rope (mm) – 38
Mt. Sima has been the host venue to successful national and international multi-sport events including;
- Whitehorse 2007 Canada Winter Games – Alpine Skiing, Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding.
- Whitehorse 2012 Arctic Winter Games – Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding.
- Mt. Sima has a total of 12 runs – 25% for advanced skiers, 35% for intermediate skiers and 40% for novice skiers.
- Snow School with ski and snowboard instructors.
- Complete ski and snowboard rental shop.
- 13’ Halfpipe (super pipe length).
- 2 x terrain parks.
- Mogul Run.
- Homologated GS and Slalom runs.
- Skier/ Boarder Cross Course.
- Freestyle Aerial Site.
- 1 t-bar.
- 1 handle-tow.
Panoramic Chairlift & Alpine Discovery Tours
The new Doppelmayr quad chairlift takes guests to the top of Mt. Sima for scenic guided and self-guided Alpine Discovery Tours. Tours offer spectacular views with an observation deck at the top of Mt. Sima (3,820 ft. or 1,164 m.) with interpretive signage and 360 degree views of the Yukon River valley and surrounding mountain ranges.
- Mt. Sima’s Bike Park includes aerial jumps and a mix of intermediate and expert downhill trails.
- Mountain Bike Chairlift Adaptors include – 27 Murray-Latta adapters.
- Bike capacity per adapter = 3.
- Upload capacity per hour = 80 bikes and riders.
Complimenting the long-standing recreation activities available at the Mt. Sima Alpine Adventure Park (including winter ski season, and summer mountain biking and Panoramic Chairlift), as well as special events, WildPlay Yukon will feature:
Monkido Aerial® Adventures
The renowned Monkido® Aerial Adventure Courses (Classic, Buddy, and Kids) are named for their unique “monkey-see, monkey-do” style of tree-top exploration. During one to three hours of outdoor playtime, adults, teens, and kids move at their own pace through a series of surprising and progressively challenging obstacle games – suspended between six and 60 feet [2-18m] above ground. A combination of fear and fun is faced (and often overcome) by guests who traverse zip lines, rope swings, scrambling walls, hanging nets, spinning logs and wobbly bridges, Tarzan (and Jane) swings, bongo balls …and many more aerial games.
At all WildPlay Element Parks locations, Elements are integrated into the local outdoor environment, featuring design concepts that conform to the natural landscape, rather than modifying the landscape to fit the course.
At the Yukon Park, an innovative new system of “spar”-mounted platforms compliment tree-mounted games to work with the natural terrain and allow for the usual and challenging Monkido® experience. Tree-mounted Monkido® course sections are built using a special compression system that allows sap and tree nutrients to flow, and natural tree growth to continue. In this way, WildPlay’s Monkido® Aerial Adventure Courses are supportive to the sustainability of the natural environment.
ZOOM Zip Lines
WildPlay Yukon launches the company’s second ZOOM Zip Lines Element. The high-velocity ride features one of North America’s longest zip line flights – covering over 1kms of the Mt. Sima hillside in a single line, and reaching speeds of up to 90 kph. Three additional lines soar from 400’ [122m] above the rolling peaks and valleys of Mt. Sima, and complete a memorable ZOOM Zip Lines guided tour.